How quickly these two weeks went by! They have been somewhat busy weeks (not to mention cold and snowy) and I am looking forward to all the fun things ahead of me this weekend! I wanted to pull together a quick post about five things currently going on in my little world that I thought would be fun to share!
1. Superbowl foods! I mean, everyone’s thinking about this, right?! I have a couple of parties I’m going to on Sunday and although I’m about 99% sure I know what I’m bringing (my corn and bean salsa for anyone wondering ;) ) I couldn’t help myself and poked around Pinterest and the blogosphere anyway. Some of my favorites? These delicious looking snacks:
- Roasted Red Pepper Dip from Well Plated
- Buffalo Hummus from Gimme Some Oven
- Cheesy Bacon Jalapeno Corn Dip by Host the Toast
2. Whole30 – I have been feeling a little off lately – nothing too crazy – just not 100% myself and I think a big part of that is due to my diet. I used to eat really well, then I bought a house, loaded up with house projects, went to grad school, and finished grad school. I still have house projects to do and social activities to keep me busy, but along the way I feel like I’ve lost touch with my good eating habits. I don’t eat junk by any means (or at least not the majority of the time), but I know I don’t eat as much protein as I need, don’t have as many veggies as I should, and just feel like my diet is generally out of whack. I’ve been loosely following a fellow blogger (http://www.allthingsgd.com/) and she sometimes talks about the Whole30 challenge and Whole Living. I looked into the challenge a bit and I think I’m going to give it a try next month. It looks, well, challenging, but I think it will really help me be more mindful of what I eat and be a sure-fire way to include more protein in my diet. I’ve also read some of the success stories and hope to get an increased energy boost in the process. The challenge is for 30 days but I’m hoping that some of the habits and benefits will stick with me after it’s done.
3. Serial Podcast – I’m late to this party (and the podcast-party in general) but holy moly I’m addicted! I started listening to it earlier in the week and can’t. get. enough. Right now I’m on episode 11 and am eager to see how it ends!
4. This combination:
The lamp is from IKEA, I forget where I got the timer, but they’re available at stores like Home Depot, Lowes, Target, etc. I have SUCH a difficult time waking up in the mornings so a while back (like a LONG while back – as in years probably) I got the idea of having a light turn on before I wake up to imitate waking up when the sun is up. I’m embarrassed to say that after having that genius thought, it then took me about 3 years to do anything about it (buy a light and an outlet timer) and then another 4 months (give or take) to actually plug the light into the timer and set this whole system up. Well, I finally did just that two nights ago and it has been glorious! I can’t even explain to you how much easier I wake up and how much more refreshed I feel when I wake up to a light room rather than a pitch-black one. If you’re in the same dark-in-the-morning boat that I am, I highly recommend giving this a whirl.
5. Florida! (And other warm places)
As much as I love the snow, I’m kind of ready for this winter to be over. It’s a combination of desperately wanting to be able to run and bike outside again, wanting to soak up the sunshine, wanting to not be cold anymore, and all the fun things I have ahead of me this year (trip to FL, cruise to the Caribbean, and some bachelorette parties and weddings -EEK!). I took this photo a few years ago on a trip visiting my grandparents in Florida and it has been the “wallpaper” of my work computer pretty much ever since. I look at it all the time and can’t wait for my trip down there – not only for the shorts weather, but also to hang out with my grandparents for a bit!
What things are going on in your worlds? Any fun trips, any winter weather hacks, any exciting plans for the Superbowl or delicious snacks you plan to make? Regardless of what’s going on, I hope you all have a happy Friday and a wonderful weekend!